By Lindsey Johnson of Café Johnsonia for Design Mom.
Menu #23 of our Lunch Box Series has a bit of Asian flair. We eat a lot of Asian food, and therefore a lot of rice. If I have leftover plain rice, a great way to use it up (besides rice pudding) is to turn it into another meal. Here I made good use of it for a quick, semi-healthy hot lunch. If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making it from scratch, order a little extra the next time you have takeout and use it for an easy lunch.
LUNCH MENU #23
– ham fried rice
– kale chips
– freeze dried strawberries and chocolate chips
– milk (or water)
– To make quick fried rice: heat a little oil in a pan, add some diced veggies (carrots and celery, or even broccoli) and ham. Cook for a few minutes until they soften, then add 1 beaten egg. Stir constantly while it cooks. Transfer to a small bowl. Add a little more oil to the pan. Add leftover rice and a little soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir-fry until it’s hot. Add the veggies and ham back to the pan. Cook a bit longer. And it’s done!
– Reheat the fried rice before placing in the insulated container. To keep food hotter for longer, fill the bowl with boiling water, let stand and pour the water out, then fill with the food.
– Foogo insulated bowl and drink bottle
– Blue Avocado reusable bag
– Fit n’ Fresh container
– Kale chips and freeze-dried strawberries from Trader Joe’s
1 thought on “Lunch Menu #23”
Looks delicious — just wish my sons would eat something like this!