Gabrielle Stanley Blair is the author of the book, Ejaculate Responsibly: A Whole New Way To Think About Abortion — available for pre-order now. She is also the founder of DesignMom.com. Started in 2006, it has been named a Website of the Year by Time Magazine, praised as a top parenting blog by The Wall Street Journal, Parents, and Better Homes & Gardens, and won the Iris Award for Blog of the Year. Her first book, Design Mom: How to Live with Kids, a New York Times Bestseller, was published in 2015 by Artisan. Gabrielle is also a founder of Alt Summit, the blockbuster annual conference for online content creators and creative entrepreneurs, currently in its 13th year.
As a thought leader for over 15 years, Gabrielle has written and moderated hundreds of discussions on difficult topics, and interviewed some of the most influential people in the world. Her writing is quoted and shared across the globe daily. Gabrielle and her husband, Ben Blair, have six children — Ralph, Maude, Olive, Oscar, Betty, and Flora June. After six years in Oakland, they moved to a small town in Normandy, France where they are renovating a house from the 1600s. Follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook.
After working in New York City as an art director, Gabrielle Blair started Design Mom as a hobby. She had just had baby number 5 (baby number six came a few years later), and blogging seemed like a good a way for her to connect with other women when she was up with middle of the night feedings. She started writing essays, sharing parenting advice and interesting finds that she had picked up as a young mother and designer — and the blog took off.
Over 6000 blog posts and two books later, Gabrielle is considered a top expert in creating accessible conversations about hard topics, parenting engaged and independent kids, and creating a home where both parents and kids can thrive. Endlessly curious, she shares projects she’s working on, starts discussions about newsworthy topics, amplifies women’s voices, introduces new ideas and cool discoveries, and lends her passion for engaged parenting to everyone who reads her work.
Gabrielle is a mother of six with a BFA in graphic design who has raised her family on both coasts and across the ocean. The family spent 8 years in New York, then moved to Denver, Colorado for 1.5 years, then Normandy, France for 2.5 years, then Oakland, California for 6 years, and then back to Normandy in September 2019. You can follow along with the on-going renovations of their house, built in the 1600s.
NPR — KJZZ Phoenix
‘Sperm causes pregnancies’: How men can step up in the abortion debate
Zeit Magazin (German newspaper of record)
Für jede ungewollte Schwangerschaft ist ein Mann verantwortlich
De Volkskrant (Dutch newspaper of record)
Het iconische twitterdraadje over abortus dat maar viral blijft gaan: ‘Raakt een vrouw ongewenst zwanger, dan heeft een man dat altijd veroorzaakt’
The Press Democrat
The woman behind the brilliant abortion Twitter thread
Men cause 100% of unwanted pregnancies. Period.
For press inquiries regarding Gabrielle’s forthcoming book, Ejaculate Responsibly, please contact Claire Gross Claire.Gross@hbgusa.com
Did you know?
• Design Mom is credited for launching dozens of brands and services that you’ve come to know and love. Watch Fixer Upper? Yes, Joanna Gaines was discovered on Design Mom!
• Since its launch in 20016, popular lifestyle blog, Design Mom, has consistently won awards and been recognized as a top influential parenting site by major media and social media peers, including The Wall Street Journal, Parents, Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living and Better Homes & Gardens.
• Gabrielle wrote a Twitter thread about abortion and irresponsible ejaculations in September of 2018 that has been viral for three years and counting, and continues to shape the national conversation around abortion. The thread has been covered in dozens of media sources (including several listed above), and was the inspiration for her new book.
• Design Mom was named Blog of the Year at the industry standard Iris Awards in 2015.
• The Design Mom: How To Live With Kids book made the New York Times Bestseller List.
• Time Magazine named Design Mom a Website of the Year.
• Gabrielle and her husband Ben Blair are currently writing a Parenting Book to be published by Artisan Books.